Five finalists will vie for the Seacoast Start Up grand prize on Nov. 2!
The City of Rochester is excited to announce the five finalists for our 4th annual Seacoast Start Up Competition.
There was some fierce competition this year and we received a total of 19 applications, all with exciting business venture plans. After carefully reading through each application the judges made their decision and have asked the following five applicants to join the “Shark Tank” style competition next Wednesday night, November 2 at the Frisbie Hospital Conference Center, 11 Whitehall Road in Rochester, NH.
All five applicants have enthusiastically agreed to attend and present at the event which is open to the public. Refreshments will be provided.
Here are our five finalists:
- Awato: An online platform that automates quality academic and career counseling for colleges. It helps people identify and pursue careers they’d love. The system uses a patent pending method to quickly assess people’s interest, aptitudes, education, experience, and personality and match them with either majors or careers, or both. It then provides users with a customized roadmap for how to achieve their goals, stop by step. It also includes a country-wide job board, resumé builder and online portfolio feature so students can manage their entire career experience in one place.
- GeoQuiz: An interactive trivia game based on geotagged points of interest. The goal is to engage family and friends during travel anytime, anywhere and support interaction and camaraderie on long trips. GeoQuiz encourages having fun while learning about new things around you during transit and provides the opportunity to recognize when there are hidden and unique things, and points of interest that may be worth a detour.
- Hive Battery: Improved manufacturing process technologies that reduce the cost of lithium ion batteries. In the final steps of manufacturing, a battery undergoes the time and capital-intensive steps of cell formation and end of line testing. During formation, each lithium ion cell is slowly charged and discharged to facilitate key reactions within the cell, reactions that will determine the eventual performance and degradation of the battery. Hive Battery’s core technology of diagnostics align with the manufacturing process and provide cell manufacturers with the tools they need to develop new and innovative methods during the formation step.
- Popzup: A new ways to pop, season and snack popcorn that’s naturally delicious. The company's mission is to develop a complete line of branded popcorn products that provide consumers convenient options to have popcorn how and when they want and to know exactly what is on their favorite snack. Products include the Popzup Popper, Popcorn Seasonings and K-Pouches. Popzup Popper is a totally new way to microwave air pop popcorn without chemicals or plastic. Popzup Popcorn Seasonings have clean labels providing popcorn lovers with sweet, savory, & spicy blends to satisfy any mood. Popzup K-Pouches (soon to be launched) are convenient single batch popcorn kernel pouches for stovetop and hot air popping. All Popzup Brand Products are non-GMO and gluten free and made in the company's Dover NH Popzup Factory.
- Trigger Devils: Attachable trigger stops that allowgamers to shoot "insanely fast" by cutting wasted space out of each trigger pull in first. The devices clip on and are ready to go.
We are pleased to have the following distinguished local professionals on our 2016 Start Up judges panel: Lori Smart, president at Smart ATI and Smart ATI Construction; Michael O’Laughlin, vice president operations at Lydall; and Jonathan Shapleigh, vice president of commercial banking at Bank of New Hampshire.
See you there!